Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Azonto!

Sometime ago I wrote about dance etiquette (or my perceptions of it) in Ghana and my inability to understand it.

http://yevuinghana.blogspot.com/2010/12/dance-etiquette.html

Now, the dance life here has become even harder. The Azonto dance has become popular on the dance floors and streets across Ghana. Whether in a club, by the street side or at a wedding (or a funeral) men and women are randomly and sporadically breaking into the Azonto dance. Shouts of 'come on Sam, dance Azonto' are worryingly frequent and always ignored. I have a problem with the two step let alone this straight legged, hand spinning dance that at times is reminiscent of a bit of John Travolta in Greece!

If you do not know about the Azonto craze which has hit Ghana and beyond here is a little video to teach you the moves. You will be pleased to know that I am not going to give you personal lessons!

http://www.twitvid.com/SH5DQ

Enjoy, and happy dancing! (Maybe I should learn this dance!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment